Tree of Life Locket | Gold and Sterling Silver
Tree of Life Locket | Gold and Sterling Silver
Handmade Personalized jewelry
Sterling silver does tarnish, a darkening that occurs when sterling silver reacts with gases in the air or with other substances that it comes in contact with. It is a simple fact of nature. Other sources of tarnish include hair spray, lotion, perfume, other beauty products and even natural body oils. It’s best to put jewelry on last after using these products.
Over time sterling silver develops a mellow patina which often results in an appreciated antique look. Often a black oxidation builds up in the fine details which give your jewelry piece a beautiful and unique look.
When storing your sterling silver jewelry you want to avoid scratching the jewelry piece and you want to minimize the oxidation process. It would be best to store your sterling silver jewelry in an air tight container when it is not being worn. When I don't wear my jewelry I place these in my jewelry box : https://www.riogrande.com/Product/silver-guard-anti-tarnish-blocks/401710
Sterling silver when worn often with have minimal cleaning required, making it very easy to care for and lots of fun to wear.
Avoid storing your sterling silver jewelry directly on wood surfaces, because wood usually contains acids that can mar the finish. Oak seems to be the worst for this. Also, avoid storing your sterling silver with other metals, like pennies, and rubber, copper, brass, bronze these too cause tarnish and damage.
This is a new product out there to prevent tarnish but I have not yet tried it : https://www.riogrande.com/Product/silver-glory-anti-tarnish-protective-solution/335031
Interestingly, wearing your jewelry is a good way to help keep it in good condition as long as you take some measure of care while wearing your jewelry. But, your sterling silver jewelry does need to be cleaned from time to time. This is where it is important to understand your piece of jewelry.
Personalized hand stamped jewelry has been treated with a patina to antique (oxidize) the piece in order to enhance the lettering and designs stamped on the piece. For this reason, it is very important not to use silver cleaners, baking soda, vinegar, toothpaste or any strong cleaner. They will remove the antiqued finish along with the tarnish. However, sterling silver chains, that haven’t been oxidized, can be dipped in jewelry cleaning solution to remove tarnish.
There are two ways to remove tarnish from your hand stamped jewelry without damaging the antiquing finish.
1) Using a polishing cloth intended for sterling silver, such as Sunshine polishing cloth, Connoisseurs Silver polishing cloth, Brilliant polishing cloth, etc. Some of them come in a two in one system, which means that 2 cloths come attached together; one is used to remove tarnish and the other for buffing and polishing
2) This is the one I use ...Pro-polish polishing pads are a great way to keep your hand stamped jewelry clean and shinning. I love them! These pre-treated 2 inch squares are great for polishing or removing oxidation. Pads are tight-bond cellular foam with permanently bonded micro-abrasives. You can use these pads until they are dark grey on both sides and then it is time to toss it and use a new one. Make sure the piece you are polishing is completely dry. If you get these pads wet, they get gooey and will not work properly.
You can find any of these cloths or pads in a lot of Etsy stores. I purchase them at : www.riogrande.com/Product/Pro-Polish-Polishing-Pads/337020?pos=1
I have found very helpful to clean my jewelry after every use and before storage it to remove body oils or any dirt that can accelerate tarnishing. For quick cleaning of sterling silver, such as removing makeup, body oils or light dirt, use a small amount of liquid detergent or soap to about a half cup of warm water. Using a soft cloth or a cotton swab, wipe the solution on the jewelry, rinse under clean warm water, and dry thoroughly. Make sure it’s very dry before storage it.
Remember, the more you wear your jewelry, the less you will have to clean it. With proper care and storage, your sterling silver jewelry will bring you many years of wear and enjoyment.
Thanks again for choosing The Silver Wing!!!
FREE Standard Shipping to USA
AU,NZ,UK, France, Ireland, Canada and many other locations $10.00
Please add to cart to see low cost shipping options available for your location.
Tree of Life Locket
Tree of Life Locket. Sterling silver and gold bronze tree of life locket necklace, with Winnie the Pooh quote. This timeless piece is a perfect gift if someone you love lives far away. It could be a very special gift between friends, mother and child or grandmother and granddaughter. The phrase inside comes from the classic Winnie the Pooh story book. The top of this locket is a tree of life made of gold bronze. Middle of this layered locket is stylized heart made of copper. The bottom disc is made of sterling silver. This mixed metal jewelry creation hangs on a sterling silver chain.
- 7/8" sterling disc , personalize with your own phrase or use phrase in examples A. "If there ever comes a day we can't be together, keep us(me) in your heart, We'll (I'll) stay there forever." ( Winnie the pooh) If you would like to change the phrase or add names just add them in comment area at check out. * limit for this disc - 85 characters
- Copper Heart stamped with up to - 12 characters when nothing is noted for heart it will be left blank.
- Bronze medium tree of life
- Free Sterling silver chain
Handmade, Hand stamped .925 Sterling silver, Sterling silver is hypoallergenic, it does not contain nickel or lead. I do not use plated or filled silver, only solid sterling silver.
PLEASE See ALL Available photos for options.
© 2023 TheSilverWing. All creations, designs, handmade charms, photos, and item descriptions & title verbiage are copyright protected and property of The Silver Wing. *Photos may not be used without permission of the Designer/Artist/Creator of The Silver Wing.
Need Help??? Send me your email and I can assist. Need a phrase?? I can send a list of phrase suggestions to fit any situation, just message me your email.